Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Policy & Political roles)
Economic and Prosperity
Main purpose of job:
Many countries, including middle-income countries – where around 60% of the world’s poor live – still face considerable challenges such as youth unemployment, climate change, high and persistent inequality (including gender inequality) and digital exclusion, which can lower long-term growth prospects.
The British High Commission in South Africa delivers a portfolio of activities to support the broad-based and inclusive growth needed for poverty reduction. Our strategic priorities within the Economic Growth team include supporting trade and investment, improving business environment and economic reform, driving productivity in key sectors through education, employment and skills development, improving digital access, support for entrepreneurship and MSMEs and sustainable urban development.
This is an excellent opportunity to play a prominent role in the economic and political work of the British High Commission in South Africa. The jobholder will work alongside colleagues from across the office to help senior decision makers in the mission and the UK understand economic developments in South Africa.
The successful candidate will need to build an extensive network of economic contacts within South Africa, drawing on these to provide quick, informed analysis and advice on issues as they emerge alongside the political team. They will also need to provide longer, more detailed analytical pieces to explain complex economic issues to a non-specialist audience, as well as regular updates on the overall performance of the economy.
- Previous experience (2+ years) working in an economics role
Seeing the Big Picture, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
16 March 2023
Higher Executive Officer (HEO)
British High Commission
R 643,242.53 per annum
1 April 2023
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
The High Commission has an excellent personal development offer and the job would suit a self-starter keen to take advantage of this. They will have the opportunity to develop their skills in economic and political analysis and will get involved in other areas of work such as communications and events. The jobholder will also have access to the FCDO’s learning platform Global Learning Opportunities. Other development opportunities could potentially include specialist training.
The British High Commission pays in full for the Key Care Plus option on Discovery Health for staff including spouses/partners and dependants.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Pretoria are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in South Africa.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocate
- The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles. Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of 6/12 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate”.
To apply please copy and paste this link: https://fco.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/candidate/jobboard/vacancy/1/adv/
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.