Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Main purpose of job:
This is an exciting opportunity for a committed and passionate individual to join the dynamic team at the British High Commission in Kampala. You will assist the High Commissioner and Deputy High Commissioner in their day-to-day work, including managing diaries, liaising with staff across BHC, managing external contacts and organising events. This is a multi-faceted role which plays a large part in the wider life of the High Commission.
Roles and responsibilities:
This role would suit someone with experience of living overseas with a diplomatic mission. It is flexible, fun and offers possibilities for personal development.
You will play a vital role in the overall life of the British High Commission (BHC). You will support the High Commissioner and Deputy High Commissioner by managing their diaries and ensuring a smooth running of their schedules. You will be Secretariat for a number of committees and meetings in the BHC. You may be called on to support others in their roles.
The successful candidate will have excellent organisation skills, have good attention for detail, be a good people person and great at team working to support the entire mission.
Specific tasks include:
- Diary management including setting up official meetings and managing internal schedules;
- Managing travel and accommodation arrangements of High Commissioner/ Deputy High Commissioner;
- Production, registration and dispatch of official correspondence and documents for meetings, including minutes for the meetings;
Ad hoc support on IT, security and other areas;
Budget management and oversight of spending;
Event management, including a role in organising the annual King’s Birthday celebrations.
Overseeing the calendar of events at the official Residence, managing events for the High Commissioner and coordinating others to ensure they deliver on official objectives.
- Excellent organisation skills
- Working knowledge of MS Office Packages
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Discretion and confidentiality
- Team Player
Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
18 June 2023
Executive Officer (EO)
British High Commission
1 August 2023
Learning and development opportunities:
BHC Kampala has a positive learning and development culture, and an active L&D committee. The role itself is varied and offers plenty of on the job training. There is also a strong regional network, with posts of different sizes, meaning there are opportunities for joint formal training as well as work shadowing and learning from peers.
Applicants should hold UK, USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand citizenship and HAVE THE RIGHT TO WORK IN UGANDA. HE/She cannot be a dual Ugandan national. The applicant has to be able to acquire and maintain a SC clearance. Any previous security clearances from the above mentioned five countries are an advantage.
The FCDO pursues our national interests and projects the UK as a force for good in the world. We promote the interests of British citizens, safeguard the UK’s security, defend our values, reduce poverty, and tackle global challenges with our international partners. We place emphasis on how we lead and behave towards each other, how we make decisions and how we get the job done to deliver our cultural statement:
- We put respect and kindness first. We are inclusive, we get to know each other, and value our diversity and the contribution we each bring. We are fair, act with integrity, and tackle inequality and unacceptable behaviour. We work together and take responsibility to solve problems.
- We draw on the expertise, insight and diverse perspectives of people across the FCDO, HMG, and beyond. We use the best available data and evidence. We are open to challenge and take a long-term approach. We are transparent about the rationale for decisions and smart about taking and managing risks.
- We are agile and alert to emerging opportunities. We encourage learning, innovation and use of data and digital. We are all clear on what we are expected to deliver and support each other in doing so. We look to reduce duplication and unnecessary process. We are committed to transforming both the FCDO and the way HMG delivers international policy.
- Your application must also include examples of when you have demonstrated the required elements in the Success Profile Questions section of the online application form. Applications that do not include this information will not be considered.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Kampala are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Uganda.
All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to; Obtain the relevant permit;
- Pay the fees for the permit; Make arrangements to relocate; Meet the costs to relocation.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link:
- Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates
- The British High Commission will only contact successful candidates, if you do not hear from us please consider your application unsuccessful.
Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of 6/12 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
To apply please copy and paste this link: https://fco.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/candidate/jobboard/vacancy/1/adv/
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.