Rochester Institute of Technology
Student Health Center
This is a full-time, in-person, non-exempt position reporting to the Administrative Supervisor. Normal hours are 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Required to work one evening (10:30 a.m.- 7 p.m.) per week during the academic year. May need to work occasional weekends during orientation activities/open houses/wellness programs.
Reporting to and under general guidance from the Student Health Center (SHC) Administrative Supervisor, the Wellness Staff Assistant establishes a warm, welcoming and helpful atmosphere for all student and visitor interactions. This position will support and rotate between the various areas in Wellness. This position requires the ability and knowledge to provide support services including scheduling of student appointments using an electronic health record; verifying compliance with New York State and RIT Immunization requirements; assisting with maintenance of electronic medical record files; assisting students who may present with a difficult immediate need; maintaining strict confidentiality in all encounters.
Establish a warm, welcoming and helpful atmosphere for all student and visitor interactions.
- Serve as primary general information resource for Wellness Centers.
- Be prepared to field inquiries from students about the range of services offered in Wellness.
- Explain eligibility requirements, intake procedures, session limits, cancellation policies, and confidentiality laws.
- Facilitate the referral process for faculty, staff, administrators and parents who are assisting students in seeking services
- Assist in management of electronic appointment system: accurate scheduling of appointments for medical and mental health providers; revising provider schedules as necessary; rescheduling students as necessary. Assist students with use of Wellness portal for appointments, check-in, and form completion. (Confidential information).
- Review and interpret accurately, immunization data submitted by students for compliance with New York State and RIT required immunizations; input and process appropriately. Answer questions from students and parents regarding NYS immunization law/requirements.
- Assist with management of electronic medical records system including: updating student demographic information according to established protocols; QA of scanned/indexed images, performing scanning/indexing as necessary. Responsible for accurate formatting of electronic health records Manage a high volume, multi-line telephone system including relay calls and use of interpreter-type machines. Responsible for entering pertinent and concise telephone messages into student electronic records.
- Manage a high volume, multi-line telephone system including relay calls and use of interpreter-type machines. Responsible for entering pertinent and concise telephone messages into student electronic records.
- Responsible for maintaining and balancing cash drawer/daily batch in accordance with University and Center internal control and security policies/procedures. Accept payment for services (credit card, cash, checks, Tiger Bucks) and invoice/post amounts properly in PyraMED. Make adjustments as necessary.
- Maintain office space and reception room, sort/distribute email and mail as directed.
- Other duties as assigned, such as but not limited to Membership on Center accreditation or Divisional Strategic Plan committees
- Exercise judgment and independent initiative; handle time sensitive matters that require concise problem solving and a high degree of confidentiality.
- 2 years of related reception, administrative or customer service experience, preferably in a medical setting.
- Strong customer service skills with ability to establish professional and welcoming reception of in person, phone and email/electronic contacts.
- Ability to establish, build and maintain effective working relationships based on respect, empathy and honesty with diverse groups and individuals.
- Effective interpersonal, written, and electronic communications skills, including the ability to convey complex information in accessible terms to diverse or multicultural audiences.
- Computer competence using Microsoft Office (basic level) and enterprise systems appropriate for the front desk position. Experience using electronic health record software with emphasis on multi-provider scheduling.
- Medical terminology-basic skill level.
- Ability to manage and maintain confidential and private information; uses confidential, sensitive and/or private records and information, protects information appropriately.
- Knowledge of Deaf and other cultures or willingness to learn.
- Knowledge of NYS Immunization law.
- ASL or willingness to learn.
- AA degree in medical secretarial science or secretarial science strongly preferred
Required Minimum Education Level
Henrietta Campus — 100%
Required Application Documents
Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae or Resume
What do we believe at RIT?
Rochester Institute of Technology is a diverse and collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually curious minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending of technology, the arts and design, we provide exceptional individuals with a wide range of academic opportunities, including a leading research program and an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. We are dedicated to building a diverse community, one where employees feel a sense of belonging, and are valued for their contributions and the perspectives they bring.
As a member of the RIT community, you’ll receive a comprehensive employee benefits package that offers multiple options and access to additional employment advantages. You can tailor your benefit elections to meet your needs (affordable medical/dental/vision benefits; paid vacation/sick time/retirement saving plan with exceptional employer match; and tuition assistance for you and your family, to name a few).
The Wellness area within the Division of Student Affairs shares a passion for enriching the quality of life for all students. Every area within Wellness aims to enhance student success and collegiate life by providing innovative, inclusive and responsible programs, services, and education.
RIT Student Health Center (SHC) is a fully accredited (AAAHC) ambulatory care facility. The Student Health Center is committed to fulfilling its mission in a respectful, trusting and caring manner while maintaining sensitivity to the backgrounds, experiences and health practices which exist among the student population served.
How To Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff . Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number.
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources. RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities. RIT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities under the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New York Human Rights Law, or similar applicable law. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Human Resources office at 585-475-2424 or email your request to [email protected] . Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.