World Health Organization
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The primary objective of the Department of Health Systems and Services (HSS) is to strengthen health systems based on Primary Health Care, supporting universal health coverage. Its work encompasses the following areas: strengthening health systems governance for social protection in health; strengthening regulatory frameworks and financial protection mechanisms to promote the progressive realization of the right to health; organizing people-centered, integrated health service delivery; promoting access to and rational use of quality, safe, and effective health technologies; strengthening national health research systems, and promoting the integration of scientific knowledge into health care, health policies, and technical cooperation; and developing human resources for health.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Director, Health Systems and Services (HSS), and the direct supervision of the Chief, Strategic Fund Management (HSS/SF), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Engage in corporate efforts for strategic and operational planning, programming, budgeting and resource coordination to enable the Special Program’s technical cooperation and operations;
- Support the Chief Strategic Fund in leading the coordination of the performance monitoring and assessment of the Special Program’s BWP and with contributions to other institutional reporting;
- Support the design, negotiation and implementation of technical cooperation projects and ensure that projects managed by the Team are executed according to action plans and within established timelines; ensure timely submission of financial and progress reports in accordance with donor agreements;
- Support preparation for and participate in inter-programmatic and cross-organizational working groups and PAHO management meetings such as the Synergy Group;
- Maintain effective partnerships with stakeholders to exchange critical and technical information and resolve program/project implementation issues to ensure results are achieved as planned;
- Support the Chief, Strategic Fund in the analysis of the staffing needs of the Team, particularly with respect to the competencies needed to execute the program of work and for the preparation and periodic review of the Human Resources (HR) Plan;
- Support the preparation of various written outputs, e.g., draft background papers, project reports, analysis, sections of reports and studies and other inputs to technical publications; provide support for the preparation of technical documents for Governing Body meetings.
- Provide support for the management and control of all administrative services and operations of the Special Program. Such services and operations include budgeting, finance, procurement, human resources management, conference management, and office space and equipment arrangements;
- Prepare budgetary forecasts; establish control and report structures by monitoring commitments and ensuring the processing of obligating documents that adhere to operational plans; assist the entity in the allocation and control of financial, human, and physical resources;
- Provide guidance on administrative and financial rules and regulations, practices and procedures, and other administrative processes and services. Ensure compliance with the internal control framework of the Organization.
Strategic Fund initiatives
- Provide support and collaborate actively in the digitization and continuous improvement projects; assist in improving strategies to collect, revise, aggregate, and disseminate information related to the projects;
- Operational and strategic planning of the unit’s projects related to Digitization Transformation, Supply Chain Management, Continuous Improvement and other strategic initiatives;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
- Essential: A bachelor’s degree in a health, social science, business administration, management, supply chain management, international relations or in any other field related to the functions of the position, from a recognized university. If your candidacy is retained for an interview, you will need to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an accredited/recognized institution in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- Essential: Five years of combined national and international experience in the fields of health or supply chain planning, project management, monitoring and evaluation, including experience in administration, strategy formulation and resource allocation.
- Desirable: Experience in information collection, analysis and visualization of data would be an asset. Experience working in an international agency would be an asset.
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Teamwork: Collaborate and cooperate with others. – Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve results; encourages cooperation and builds rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the teams’ successes and shortcomings. Identifies conflicts in a timely manner and addresses them as necessary; understands issues from the perspective of others; does not interpret/ attribute conflicts to cultural, geographical or gender issues.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relate well to diversity in others and capitalize on such diversity – Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Communication: Express oneself clearly when speaking/Write effectively/Listen/Shares knowledge – Quality and quantity of communication targeted at audience. Listens attentively and does not interrupt other speakers. Adapts communication style and written content to ensure they are appropriately and accurately understood by the audience (e.g., power-point presentations, communication strategies, implementation plans). Shares information openly with colleagues and transfers knowledge, as needed.
- Resource mobilization: establishes partnerships and alliances with a variety of institutions and organizations as well as internal partnerships to obtain financial and non-financial resources. Is able to relate with all types of people and at all levels in order to obtain resources that are needed. Is able to present and disseminate information in a clear manner. Executes resources according to the agreements previously established with partnerships.
- Knowing and managing yourself: Manages stress/Invite feedback/Continuously learn – Remains productive even in an environment where information or direction is not available, and when facing challenges; recovers quickly from setbacks, where necessary. Manages stress positively; remains positive and productive even under pressure; does not transfer stress to others. Seeks feedback to improve knowledge and performance; shows self- awareness when seeking and receiving feedback; uses feedback to improve own performance. Seeks informal and/or formal learning opportunities for personal and professional development; systematically learns new competencies and skills useful for job; takes advantage of learning opportunities to fill competencies and skill gaps.
- Producing Results: Deliver quality results/Take responsibility – Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs. Works independently to produce new results and sets own timelines effectively and efficiently. Shows awareness of own role and clarifies roles of team members in relation to project’s expected results. Makes proposals for improving processes as required and takes responsibility for own work and/or actions, as necessary. Demonstrates positive attitude in working on new projects and initiatives. Demonstrates accountability for own success, as well as for errors; learns from experience.
- Strong research and problem-solving skills; able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to work collaboratively on multidisciplinary teams with tight schedules.
- Strong professional oral and writing skills including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
- Practical knowledge of results-based management concepts and tools and their applications; especially related to outcome formulation and indicator development.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of international technical cooperation, with emphasis in the negotiation and management of international cooperation programs and projects.
- Mature judgment, strong technical, analytical and conceptual skills; demonstrated ability to assess, analyze, synthesize and provide recommendation on key technical issue.
- Ability to integrate managerial and technical inputs into recommendations for decision-making process; ability to manage multiple issues and tasks in a complex organizational environment.
- Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.
Project Manager – EA SPORTSElectronic ArtsVancouver, BCVancouver, BC
Secretary II – Public HealthNova Scotia Health and IWK HealthAntigonish, NSAntigonish, NS
Brand Ambassador (Victoria/Nanaimo, British Columbia)Tantalus LabsCanadaCanada
WASH emergency field coordinator- Spanish / Portuguese speakingIsraAIDIsraAIDIsraAID